chicken wings with my own special sauce
One of the dishes that I really enjoy is chicken wings, as most of my friends know I do travel a lot and throughout the world one can have hundreds of different types of chicken wings. Roasted, grilled, pan fried, stewed, spicy, crumbed, plane, you name it and it’s there. So one day at home in Bilbao I had my dear friends Ana, Iker and daughter Paule for lunch. As you all know small children normally don’t eat a lot but want to eat first. I had chicken wings at home and decided to prepare them as a starter and also for Paule to have as her meal. Now, the challenge was to prepare something that's not spicy, not too hard, soft with a pleasant taste that a 3 year old child would like, and also the adults would enjoy. Sounds difficult, but as my aunt Fernanda used to say “ in the kitchen one never panics, like a painter one should always produce something that captures the interest of the ones that are going to enjoy it”. So that’s how I made the chicken wings with my special sauce, I must say Paule loved it and the adults what can I say. From that day on I started preparing this dish for everyone that came home for lunch and kids and adults love it.
- 12 large, meaty chicken wings
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- A dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup freshly squezed orange juice
- A dash of Salt
- Cut the chicken wings into two parts, main wing bone, second joint with wing tip.
- Cut off the knobby ends of each main wing bone.
- Chop the shallots and garlic cloves
- Place a large frying pan on the stove and had the olive oil.
- Add the chicken wings and with medium heat slowly turning them from one side to another until reaching a light golden color.
- Remove from frying pan and place on a dish.
- Clean frying pan and on low heat add one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil, mix well and add the lemon juice, shallot and garlic in pan and sauté adding a bit of water to maintain temperature constant without overheating, until achieving a nice golden color.
- Introduce two tablespoons of butter and the cup of orange juice into the frying pan blending nicely with the shallot and garlic , add the chicken wings. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook for about five minutes add a bit of water if sauce starts to dry.
- Add the mascarpone, sugar, parsley, fresh tarragon and lemon zest. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
Do try this dish, you will be surprised how easy it is to make and how much your family and guests will enjoy it , let me know...