Cod Fish cooked with potatoes, cabbage, turnip, carrots and boiled egg
From north to south of Portugal and also throughout the world were Portuguese communities are established, tradition says that Christmas Eve is
spent with the family. The main meal is cod for everyone! Even those who are not very fond of codfish, this is the night when an effort is made to savor the cod cooked with potatoes, cabbage, turnip, carrots and boiled egg, drizzle with olive
Buy dried salted Cod Fish from a supermarket specialized in the sale of cod, have the fish cut it into several slices, normally one slice per person is enough, and soak it for two days. One of the secrets to having a soft and consistent fish is to soak it in the refrigerator. First, remove excess salt . To do this, place the cod, into a bowl under water tap for about 10 minutes. The desalting process should then continue inside the refrigerator. Do not worry, the fish does not exude smell when immersed in cold water and still remains soft and consistent. If it is desalted out of the refrigerator, the cod may exude a strong smell especially on hot days. The desalting time depends on the size of the slices. The ideal is to change the water every 6 hours, always with the skin facing up. If the cod is in large slices, change the water every 3 hours and leave it desalting for 42 hours.
Buy the vegetables that will serve as accompaniment: potatoes, green cabbage, onions, turnips, carrots and egg. Cook the codfish for 15 minutes, separately cook the vegetables and potatoes in water adding a bit of salt.. On a platter arrange the cod with the vegetables and bring it to the table. Drizzle with abundant olive oil.
6 dessalted cod slices (one per person)
10 medium potatoes
6 to 8 leaves of Portuguese cabbage (green cabbage)
6 cloves garlic
Salt to taste
Olive oil to taste
Method of preparation
- 42 Hours before the preparation, place the cod slices into a bowl with cold water and change the water from time to time.
- Place water in a pan
- Once it starts to boil, lower the heat and place the cod.
- After boiling, cook for another 10 minutes.
- In another pan, place water and a 2 table spoons of olive oil.
- Place eggs, potatoes, turnip and carrots.
- When water starts to boil, place the leaves of the Portuguese cabbage
- Allow about 15 minutes and it will be cooked.
- Garlic is optional, or the ones that like it , you can sprinkle the chopped garlic on the cod and vegetables.